Monday, June 15, 2015

Humility Bites

This past week was both really good and really frustrating. Luckily, both are learning experiences, so it's all good!

The highlight by far was being able to go and see  Elder Erich W. Kopischke of he 70 when he came to address us. I can send you the notes if you are interested. Anywho, I was able to spend the entire day on Friday in Little Rock listening to him speak to us. As far as I know I was also the only one who was able to get a picture taken with him afterwards. Pretty lucky! I guess the biggest thing I learned was the value and importance of repentance, especially how it ties in with humility. If you are too prideful to repent, then you are too prideful to accept the Lord's help in your day to day life, because very rarely will He help you in exactly the way you think He will. Think about that principle when you read these verses from 1 Nephi chapter 7:

16 And it came to pass that when I, Nephi, had spoken these words unto my brethren, they were angry with me. And it came to pass that they did lay their hands upon me, for behold, they were exceedingly wroth, and they did bind me with cords, for they sought to take away my life, that they might leave me in the wilderness to be devoured by wild beasts.

17 But it came to pass that I prayed unto the Lord, saying: O Lord, according to my faith which is in thee, wilt thou deliver me from the hands of my brethren; yea, even give me strength that I may burst these bands with which I am bound.

18 And it came to pass that when I had said these words, behold, the bands were loosed from off my hands and feet, and I stood before my brethren, and I spake unto them again.
(underlines added)

Pretty cool, huh?

Anyway, I was able to relearn the principle of humility in every aspect these past few days. Nobody was able to come to church for a variety of reasons, from downright serious to downright silly. Just when I was getting please with "my" accomplishments, God will step in again and show me that it isn't my accomplishments at all, but His.

We also were able to go and see an inactive member of the church yesterday shortly after church. He called us up and asked us to come by (made our day!), but when we got there he was just wanting to talk about was how he was going to go back to his old church because the Bishop of the ward was 'unchristian'. His argument: bishop forgot to return a phone call. It was one off the most frustrating experiences to listen to a man so completely consumed with pride that he was willing to turn his back on his entire testimony all because of a simply pathetic wrong that had been done to him. All he could talk about was how badly he wanted vengeance upon Bishop, one of the nicest men I have ever met.

Earlier to this I was attacked by a dog, but at least this one made sense; she was just doing her best to protect her newborn (less than a week old) pups. I've got some nice bite marks I my hand and leg, but five minutes, some wipes, several band aids, and a little bit of super glue later I was good as new. That appointment turned out really well though, which made the whole experience worth it.

I'm not on a computer so I can't upload any pics, but I will hopefully get to do that later. Thanks for all your prayers and all you do to share the gospel.

Lots of love!
Elder Barker

Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment