Monday, June 30, 2014

Bring it, Mother Nature! We be ready!


June 9, 2014
 Magnolia flowers are amazing!  They should make perfume out of these things!

 A tree that had fallen on a house compliments of severe thunderstorms.  Not only did they help to clear the tree, but Elder Barker was able to embrace his inner ape at the same time!


Thanks to Brother Murphey, not only did the Elders enjoy a sweet ride, but the new hairdo's were an added bonus!


Now that you're all sick of pictures and all that jazz... 

It has been raining pretty much non-stop this past week, and there is very little time where the sun has been present in my life. This is also going to continue next week. And guess who's on bike week.... Yep; your favorite missionary! Thank heavens for waterproof rain jackets. On the upside, people grow faster spiritually in the rain.

Just for fun, and also because most of the other missionaries around here were looking it up, I looked up how long it will be until I get home. It is only a mere 596 days, 10 hours, 39 minutes and 1 second. Probably less by the time you read this sentence. Or this one. It's definatly less by now. Or even now. Or from now to now. That's probably at least another second or two.

I've also learned something really interesting lately. Most people, regardless of what it is, cannot stop reading something once the end of it is in sight. For example, this paragraph will contain absolutely no useful information, or pertinent information regarding to my mission in Arkansas. However, this does not mean that the majority of you will not read this anyway. It is text on a screen; you kinda forced yourself into it! So long as I am writing something in a vaguely amuzzing way, or spell words obviously incorrect, or throw in some random sentence containing the words "Flaming Taco" you will continue to read this anyway. So yeah. I hope the past 30 or so seconds of your life was worth it. ;D

This upcoming thursday is a Zone Conference. This means that there will be an 8-hour long meeting with 100+ missionaries and the President to receive instruction. There will also be a special musical number performed by about 20 of them, including the pianist. Any guesses on who that incredibly lucky and fortunate pianist may be? If you guessed me I say well done on your powers of deduction. If you guessed wrong.... for shame.... =D

Anywho, it should be an eventful meeting. This is what I get for knowing the Mission President personally (he was my family's stake president when I was little) and for him knowing I play the piano. Apparently he asked for me personally. To make things even better this is also his last meeting with us before he "dies" and goes home. So yeah, no pressure!

Not sure what else to say, but I would leave every one of you a personal challenge: In Preach My Gospel there is a chapter on learning to feel the Holy Spirit. This has been one of the strongest benefits to me while I have been out on the mission. I don't care if you are LDS or not - everyone can and should benefit from being able to tell when it is God telling you to do something or not. So go and read it, no matter who/what you are!

You are all beautiful! Never forget it! If you don't believe me, just ask your mother; she will confirm it. 

Elder Jayden Barker



No comments:

Post a Comment